Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Tami Has Nothing Prepared...

I was super busy this weekend with activities ranging from fireside chats with Derek's family to Disney on Ice with my little niece/minion. Consequently, it threw off my menu planning considerably. My apologies. Hence the carb-fest I walked into when I decided to randomly get off at Uwajimaya on my way home. Why yes Chicken Katsu Curry with white rice sounds delicious. And since I already knew we'd be cheating with our digestifs from Knee High Stocking Co (Heidi, this was supposed to be for your birthday but since you had to be all responsible and work we went without you). Obviously, I was already inclined to be bad.

Stuffs
Panko Bread Crumbs
Chicken Breasts
Eggs
Cooking Oil
Flour
Salt and Pepper
Steamed Rice
Japanese Style Curry (in the pouch)

Hows
Rice went into the rice cooker (duh). My preferred formula for sticky rice is 2:3 rice to water.

I breaded the breasts following the instructions on the Panko box, whip egg, lightly coat with flour/salt/pepper, dunk in egg, dunk in Panko, fry. I used coconut oil at first to fry then switched to canola. Coconut oil burns at higher temps and medium high seems to be just on the cusp so it's better to use the real stuff.

Matt and I had a bit of a trying time frying the chicken because it was so thick but we persevered and it came out passable. It was plated it the Japanese way and served before our adventure to Knee High.

I had heard good things about Seattle's hidden gem speakeasy and in most ways this little place did not disappoint. The spirits weren't exorbitantly priced and were mixed with care. My "French Kiss" was bubbly and sweet, just as they should be ;) The pub eats were good too. It was surprisingly packed for a Monday and deservedly so.

2 comments:

  1. I am super sad I missed my own birthday festivities. But I am excited to try this chicken katsu curry. I am bringing it to work for tonight's dinner and will report back once I have tried it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Breaded chicken is straight delicious, especially when in a heavy, starchy context. Knee High was pretty sweet: food and drink was high quality and well considered, the space was authentically intimate; it felt like a place to make plans among a few compatriots.

    ReplyDelete