Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Substitute Jambalaya

So I led the cooking this time, kind of fried from work training taking inappropriate liberties with my short term memory. That is relevant because I messed up the spices a little bit. Still smells good, and by volume it is over half meat.

3 packs of Isernio's hot italian sausages - sliced
2 chicken breasts - cubed
1 small onion - finely chopped
2 bell peppers - 1 1/2 thinly sliced and 1/2 chopped
28 ounces of diced tomatoes - from a can
1 cup chicken broth - 99% fat free(relevant?)
1 tablespoon salt - oops #1, should have been teaspoon
.75 to 1 teaspoon thyme - oops #2, should have been 1/2 teaspoon
1+ teaspoon paprika - compensated for overthyme a little
1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon cayenne - a little more compensation, and I like it spicy
1 teaspoon oregano

A little olive oil went in the dutch oven first, then the sliced sausage. This browned a little and the onion and bell peppers went in. That sat until the onion started looking tired, which is when the spices started flying everywhere. I actually had trouble keeping the lids in my hands and on the counter. Moving on, the tomatoes and chicken broth followed the spice events. Throughout this process I used the stick with the rubber on the end... the spatula to mix, toss and turn the stuff in the pot. It sat for a few minutes like this until the chicken was added, the lid was tossed on and we let it simmer for 20 minutes. After the 20 minutes I threw in the cauliflower and put the lid back on. Gonna leave it for 10 minutes and then take it off. Not done yet, but posting now so it happens.

Internet is sucking, photos later if needed.

3 comments:

  1. Derek, it was good. Personally, I like my food trending towards salty. Just had it for lunch with a heel of bread, am now satisfied.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I liked it. It was meat meat meat.

    ReplyDelete
  3. this made for a happy happy lunch at work. I agree with matt, i tend to like my food quite salty. i was also surprised that i didn't miss the bread in this, and was perfectly satisfied with jambalaya and a banana for lunch. probably that sneaky cauliflower-as-rice trick you guys use.

    ReplyDelete