Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Spaghetti [squash] with Meat Sauce

Like any great cook, I adapted a recipe from Martha Stewart for this week's meal.  I actually came across the recipe while reading her magazine in the waiting room of my doctor's office, and I immediately decided that I would try it for my weekly shared dinner.  This is probably one of the more hard-core carb-replacement ideas (squash in place of noodles), but it seemed simple enough.  


The spaghetti squashes at the produce stand in Pike Place Market were rather small, so I bought two and figured on half a squash per person.  One thing I noticed was the sticker on the squash that gave instructions on how to cook it.  It said to place the squash halves flesh side down in a shallow pan of water and bake for 40 minutes.  I remember this was the way my mother had cooked spaghetti squash when I was little, and I remember the texture being a little funny.  I decided against the growers and my mother and followed Martha's instructions, drizzling olive oil over the halves and baking them right-side up on a cookie sheet for about an hour.  I realized when I was all done that had I been more careful with the olive oil, I might have been able to serve the spaghetti in the scooped-out shell.  Oh well... next time.


I started out attempting to make meatballs, but realized quickly that without breadcrumbs, the form of the meatball wouldn't hold.  Still, I attempted making the meatballs and was then completely unsurprised when they lost their shape in the pan.  So I smushed them all up (quite satisfying, actually) and then added them to the sauce.  I feel like the egg and milk really helped keep the meat from drying out, so I'd likely do that again the next time I make a meat sauce.  


 The most fun of this whole meal, by far, was scooping out the cooked squash.  Pulling all of the flotsam and jetsam out with a fork, and watching it string out into the bowl in perfectly formed noodles was amazing.  I think I just might go back to the market and buy all of these funny-looking squashes and try roasting and seasoning all of them.  I hope y'all like squash.

3 comments:

  1. Thought I'd add that I calculated the cost of this meal out to about $2.50 per person. Jet at the produce stand (yes, that's really his name) charged me $3 for two squashes, the canned tomatoes and tomato paste were about a dollar, the pound of ground turkey was about $4. I used about a dollar's worth of fresh Parmesan and I guestimate another dollar for the egg, milk, spices, and oil.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Heidi, this was a difficult and ambitious concept you executed perfectly. Kudos.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Delicious, one of my coworkers went squash fan girl on me when she saw I had squash noodles. When it was hot/warm it was excellent, once it cooled down though I started thinking of our pumpkin carving get together though. I ate 80 to 90 percent of the noodles and all the meat/sauce. Good job!

    ReplyDelete